Regarding grilled ribs, I think that they can turn out really, really good.

Hell, in the 80's and 90's hardly anyone that I knew had a dedicated smoker. And if they did, it was something that was towed behind a truck or an immovable object in the backyard. But people cooked the hell out of ribs on grills and I don't think anyone complained. I can't say that anything off of a pellet grill today tastes any better.

Grilling ribs is also super easy. If they look like they are cooking too fast, move to a cooler part of the grill, turn the heat down, or prop the lid like your friend. Low and slow is also pretty easy, but it takes a lot longer to see the results. And I don't recall ever making grilled ribs too tender. I've made that mistake a few times at 225F, but that might just be me losing track of time.

I don't use foil or any wrap when grilling, so the ribs don't get steamed or sit in any liquid. Maybe fat and juices dripping on the fire add more flavor? I don't know, but I have been to some local rib joints that people really like and I think that one can do just as good at home or better, and without any special equipment.

The only thing that I use a dedicated smoker for anymore is for fish. Otherwise, I just use a smoke generator for cold smoke or throw chips or pellets on lump for a bit of flavor. Then grill. And sometimes even the oven.

I think GregW has posted that he just grills on lump and doesn't even bother adding additional smoke.

I tried MossyMO's hot and fast ribs a few months ago and they turned out awesome. And you get that crust all around each rib piece. May not be traditional, but dang tasty and easy!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...rch/true/re-hot-n-fast-ribs#Post17059359

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/05/22.