In my career as a police officer, I responded to many similar situations. I’m not sure what the law says where you live Uncle Alva, but I can tell you what happens in Virginia and guess that it’s probably similar where you are.

The number one question is whether or not he established a residence at your address? Did he receive mail there or pay anything toward rent, etc? How long was he there? Those things establish residency. If he was a resident, he has certain rights. You can’t just change the locks and keep him out and you can’t legally remove his belongings. What you can do is have him evicted. It’s a civil process and the Sheriff is responsible for that.

In Virginia, under most circumstances the process takes about 30 days. The first step is legal notice. I’m confident that your local Sheriff has a packet of information that they will provide you with, that explains your rights, his rights and what steps you need to take to evict him.

If he hasn’t established residency, it’s much easier. You simply tell him, with witnesses, or in a certified letter, that he is not welcome in your home and not to return. That’s considered legal notice, if he disregards that he’s a trespasser and can be arrested as such.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...