First thing that you have to do is make sure that you and your wife are both on the same page and can present a unified front to the guy. What has worked well for me as a landlord is to first meet with the person/people and let them know that it isn't going to work for them continuing to live there. Not confrontational, just adults addressing an issue head on. An eviction is an interminable hassle and little more than a hundred bucks for the city. I tell them that they don't want that on their record, but that they know that I will do that if they don't leave voluntarily. Since he is a relative, I'd explore some options for housing for the guy and maybe employment opportunities and tell him that it is time to be an adult. Do not let him back into the house and you keep a low profile when he is out. He will likely do one of three things. Man up, go back to jail or off himself when he can't cope.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory