In 1965 I volunteered for the Air Force. I signed up for 5 years so I could be a pilot. Jobs were scarce in SW PA where except in coal mines. My father had already did a stint of 30 years and was suffering fro black lung.

I did all the test, passed with flying colors and went for my physical. I passed everything and was walking down the hall to the last doctor. They pulled me out of the line and checked my back. I had limp they said I would never make it out of Basic Training. They put big a slash across my paper work and FAILED. 30 seconds changed my life, Navy, Army or Marines would not even consider me then. I would probably would not have survived Vietnam.

It was tough 2 years until I finally landed a job with Sandia Laboratory in NM . First thing , I was put in a group designing weapons used in Vietnam.

Always felt guilty for not being able to go, but I truly thank all those that served and especially for those that never came back.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles