Originally Posted by saddlesore
In 1965 I volunteered for the Air Force. I signed up for 5 years so I could be a pilot. Jobs were scarce in SW PA where except in coal mines. My father had already did a stint of 30 years and was suffering fro black lung.

I did all the test, passed with flying colors and went for my physical. I passed everything and was walking down the hall to the last doctor. They pulled me out of the line and checked my back. I had limp they said I would never make it out of Basic Training. They put big a slash across my paper work and FAILED. 30 seconds changed my life, Navy, Army or Marines would not even consider me then. I would probably would not have survived Vietnam.

It was tough 2 years until I finally landed a job with Sandia Laboratory in NM . First thing , I was put in a group designing weapons used in Vietnam.

Always felt guilty for not being able to go, but I truly thank all those that served and especially for those that never came back.

Don't EVER feel guilty for not being able to go to Vietnam.... I have no clue of how many vets have told me "I didn't miss a thing..."

I was routed to Ft Lewis for more medical training, when I was scheduled to be with the last group to be sent there...

Had some big mouth California transplant trying to give me crap one day locally, at one of our local stores....

He jumped on my ass about having a veteran hat on, and then asked if I served in combat and what I did... told him but no I was not sent into a war zone. then he starts giving me crap about NOT being a Veteran then.... before I had a chance to put him in his place there were 9 vets that materialized out of no where....

they went right after the guy, and asked him what branch he served in? didn't serve...

These guys were pissed enough that they were getting ready to rough this clown up.....

one of the Marine Vets, told him " THIS man put on the uniform, he trained to serve... and like every one else that served, they put on the uniform, went where they were sent, did what they were trained to do and told to do... we all couldn't be Rambo... but we EACH served"..... and Schitts like you complain about us, and never put on a uniform.....then the guys apologized to me that people like him, try to give a Vet a bad name....

I got 9 hand shakes from guys who thanked me for my service... especially being Medical Corps...several had been wounded in combat.
They knew what I had trained for....

Never feel guilty, for serving your country, on how it was dealt to you...

you tried to put on the uniform... but even tho it was denied, you still served your nation...

Thank you for your service Saddlesore.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez