Being medical corps in the Army, I've spent some time on Ft Sam several periods of time....

and have stayed in those old early 1900s built barracks. Those were solid old buildings.

Politics always plays a part in those type of decisions...

The Pentagon and Congress really don't give a damn about some of the old vintage bases.

Growing up as a dependent, when we lived in England, from 63 to 66, the Pentagon closed 10 Air Bases, in 63 and 64, that they had just reequipped in 62. The Limeys were buying one and 2 year old station wagons and Ford Pickups, for $100 on base deposal. As a 12 year old, I bought an entire set of Encyclopedia Britannica for a dollar off one of the Base libraries that closed down... the set was a year old.. I was a proud 11 year old...

These closures have always bothered me... they just throw things away. At 11 y/o, I thought that was throwing tax payer money in the garbage.

Look at the Hueys they just flew out to ships with evacuees and then just shoved the chopper overboard. I flew on a Huey crew ( Med Evac ) for 2 years... that drove me nuts also.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez