Originally Posted by 160user
I refuse to ship anything of value without insurance any more. The question arose today on who is responsible for the insurance and/or claim. I would like to hear some different perspectives and logics.
I am of the opinion that if I sell someone something it is my responsibility to get them what they paid for. I always include the insurance and it is figured into my asking price. I have had one lost package and one heavily damaged package over the years. Because I am of the opinion I didn't deliver what they bought I refunded the money or paid for the repairs and settled (eventually) with UPS.
Others are of the opinion that once they drop the package off they have met their obligations and if the packages comes up missing or damaged the buyer is responsible to settle the claim and because the seller has no control over what happens in shipping they have met their obligation. Lets hear some opinions on the topic.

I agree with you. Its yours until the new owner recieves it, in the condition stated. The buyer cannot get insurance etc. Its not his until he gets it in his hand. The seller is the person who describes it, packages it and needs to do things right to make sure it arrives undamaged. They are also the one who can buy the insurance. They can pass that cost on to to the buyer, but it is really protecting the seller, because the plays no part in it until he owns it, in his house, undamaged and as described.