Mom and Grandmother used to bake Polish items for Christmas. Those kolaczki's don't resemble what folks call them today. Were what we kids called bow-ties. There were some other stuff I never cared for all that much. Same with Golabki ( though I remember calling it something else) - a cabbage filled with meat and rice..... meh...

Mom did make a mean chicken noodle soup. I will make it for the wife, noodles and all, especially when she isn't feeling good but I don't have mom's recipe and cannot duplicate the same unique taste of hers.

When kids we ate on the cheap. Fried bologna and plain elbow noodles- sometimes added Ketchup. Flavorless as heck but with six kids.....

Two 'flavors' I will never get back . First sip of beer while fishing with Dad ...and that marvelous hoppy foamy taste-...don't tell your mother..... and the other is smell of uncle's pipe tobacco. I tried a pipe a few times thinking I could relive that smell-taste- never worked for me.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius