Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Zuchini and yellow straight neck squash are getting big enough to harvest. My wife cooked our favorite summer dish last night.

Slice a squash of either type, (or one of each) into 1/4 inch slices. Salt lightly to draw out water. A soon as the slices begin to sweat, drag them through a plate of flour and coat each side. Then drop into a skillet with 1/4 inch oil and fry both sides until golden brown.

My grandmother used the zucchini and summer squash, but a simpler preparation where she just sautéed the moons or discs of them
with some roughly chunked, super ripe, garden tomatoes of whichever variety, smashed garlic clove, a little good olive oil, salt n peppah. Maybe some basil at the end from the garden. A little fresh oregano or dried iieu of. Not too wet and sloppy, but just soft and saucy enough from the vegetables juices. Quick preparation. Not simmering down on the stove for more than 10 minutes. I still love that. If the fresh tomatoes were out of season or unavailable, she would do same with some canned San Marzano whole tomatoes, coarsely broken in her fingers and then drained a bit through a sieve.

Favorite side dish in summer next to anything. But best in a small bowl, what she called a ‘monkey dish’ lol. So the juices don’t go all running into whatever else. Unless there’s rice or polenta on the plate as well.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 08/02/22.