My neighbor rents my crop land, and he is always very good about watching the wind direction when he sprays the fields around my house, and garden. I have blackberry and blueberry bushes, fruit tress, grapes, as well as a large vegetable garden, and also a high tunnel full of vegetables. It would be very easy to cause damage, and thankfully he is careful and usually calls me before he sprays asking if I think it's okay.

Last year, he got busy and hired a local farm supply business to spray his corn, including what was growing next to my house and gardens. The wind was blowing hard that day..........in the wrong direction. Stuff got burnt, some worse than others, including some hanging ferns my wife had just bought. The green beans in the garden also took a hit, although it took a while to show up. To make a long story short, they came out and looked at it and agreed it was their fault, and offered to pay whatever damages I thought it was worth. I told them they could replace the ferns, and we'd keep an eye on the other things. I'm pretty sure it kept the green beans from making a good crop, because they were not good at all. The other things got leaf burn, but not any lasting damage that I could tell.

Some plants and trees are very susceptible to chemical damage, while others aren't. But, it all depends on what the chemical is.