My dad was a builder and he also owned a plumbing shop that my oldest brother worked at and eventually bought. So , I had the choice when I got out of the Army to go to school on the GI bill, go into plumbing, become a builder, or something else.. I also learned to weld in high school and had a couple welding jobs after high school to pay the bills until I figured out what I wanted to do..

I chose something else and became an electrician. It is very hard work at times and can be hard on your body but I wouldn't consider anything else. Now that I'm retired after 40 years of it I sometimes miss the work and the challenges of some of the installations we had to do, but my body finally said enough about the time I turned 65 so I gave it up. My son is an electrician also and he makes great money but he doesn't love it like I did. One thing about the electrical trade, you need to have a pretty good aptitude to keep up with it as it continually changes and most states now require continuing education to keep their license current.

Last edited by Sheister; 08/08/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.