One shot kills are always our goal. However, with large DG it’s not always feasible, even with very powerful rifles. If the initial shot happens in dense enough concealment, as is the usual case with elephant and often with Cape buffalo, follow up shots are to be expected and something hunters need to be ready for every time.

The PHs I hunt with would not be very pleased if the hunter pulled out a single loader. In fact, in the case of elephant, that hunter can expect that he will usually be followed up by the PH’s 458 Win Mag or 500 NE. The effect of a shot on large DG, even from an adequately powerful DGR, is often not immediately apparent before they disappear from sight, unless a brain or spinal cord shot hits. So the rule is a hunter following up quickly with another shot, if possible, or the PH following up, or both. PG is a somewhat different story, but follow ups til their down to stay is still the rule.

We American hunters are enthralled with one-shot kills and not well conditioned to additional rapid follow ups until the DG animal is down to stay. This takes a lot of practice because we fight how we train.

A hard earned lesson on my part. Although I like my #1s, and they include adequate DG cartridge chamberings, I don’t consider packing them when DG is the target. Just my experience YMMV based on yours.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now