Originally Posted by Burleyboy
What price range do decent doubles start at? I know the skies the limit but I've never paid much attention to doubles. The only big 5 animal I've ever wanted to hunt was Buffalo. I had a chance to go a few years ago and hunt one near the borders of Kruger for a good price but health issues prevented it.

I've since lost about 70 pounds and have a deal with the wife that if I lose 40 more over the next few months then I can go get my Buffalo.

I've been watching for a stainless 20" ruger in 416 ruger but there's not any around lately. I have my 23" ruger African in 375 ruger that served me well for plains game in 2008 so I may just use it if it comes down to it. I'll just have to find some 270g tsx bullets for it.

A buff hunt could be an excuse to get my first double rifle. That is if there's such a thing as a good double in the 4 figure range. I once heard someone did conversions on Browning bss shotguns that were decent and not crazy expensive.

Bb

I was in camp once with someone who's hunted Africa more times than the fingers on both hands. We got to chatting about 450/400 3" NE - mine a #1, his a very nice Chapuis double.
We both are the same height and build and he generously offered to let me fire 2 rounds through his double. I wasn't going to pass that up.

They're not kidding when they say if the rifle is fitted to you it's a joy to shoot. ~10 1/2 lbs weight, and lovely balance between the hands.

I waited until I got back to find out what they cost new and was a bit surprised to find ~$12,000. I expected one to cost more.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.