So here is my plan and set of intentions. I want this to be a 'classic' hunting rifle. I'm not up on exactly which era to say it's a classic copy of, but I can say it's defiantly pre-California style disco stocks with thumbholes, rollover cheek pieces and contrasting wood inlays. Now, understand, I have a couple of those that have been passed down to me and there's nothing wrong with them, but it's not the style for this rifle.
I guess what I'm aiming for style wise is late 40's to 50's style custom. Something that Jack O'Conner would be happy with. On that note, this will be chambered in .270 Winchester. I have a Lothar Walther stainless barrel.
The plan is: 24" stainless barrel in .270, 3-position side safety from Dakota, hinged trigger guard, tastefully classic walnut stock with Ebony or other dark wood forend tip, epoxy grip cap with inlaid initials. The metal will be finished in Norell's Moly-Resin, and the stock will be made as waterproof as possible and finished with an oil finish.

Along the way, I'm open to suggestions and comments. I'm doing all the work myself because I'm a glutton for punishment.