Originally Posted by Mrfixit
Originally Posted by z1r
All that and you left it at a 45?

I started hunting with my dad when I was a kid. At the time his rifle was a sporterized 1917 Enfield. He had done most of the work himself, minus having the sight ears ground away and some chrome plating done. He told me about ordering a new stock and sanding it to finish. I remember the gun well. The stock, while not bad looking, did look like a well used bar of soap. He had added a forend tip at 45* and a grip cap and white line spacers all around.

Fast forward to the weekend....I took the stock to his shop to use his bandsaw to cut the tip off the grip (his bandsaw is is really nice and big, mine needs a new blade and I just didn't want to mess with it for this). I'm sitting with Dad and my Brother in the shop, I'm carving carefully on the stock and we are talking about what I'm doing about the forend and grip cap. Dad keeps telling me about the sled he has for his saw and how we can cut a 'perfect' 45 for the forend and even cut one to match on the grip. I politely decline, and he goes on to say he has some thin maple for spacers and even some plastic sheets he had for knife handles in red white and blue that might 'look good' and make it look 'slick and fancy'.

I love my Dad, even when he's wrong.

Sadly the 'Old Enfield' got stolen years ago.

The Bubinga treatments were aggravating, but the maple spacers made it worse. Those had to go as well.