Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[/quote] Better look out, I am thinking Dober might be the first one suppressing his Mashburn... Modern stuff!

I keep in pretty close touch with Dober, and he apparently isn't using the 7mm Mashburn much anymore. He started having real problems with his shooting shoulder, which were at least partly due to shooting hard-recoiling rounds like the .340 Weatherby at rockchucks for practice. He had shoulder-replacement surgery earlier this year....

Plus, he eventually started down-sizing his big game rounds due to the shoulder problems--along with using different bullets. In one of our recent conversations he was planning to make his new elk rifle (he primarily shoots cows anymore) a .22-250, because he found out how effective it was with monolithic bullets. This isn't unheard of in older Montanans, even with cup-and-core bullets. A retired local outfitter I know mostly used his .22-250 for his elk hunting after he retired, partly because unlike the 7mm Remington Magnum he carried when guiding the bullets never exited, and most of his cow-hunting involves herds. He uses the same "varmint" loads he uses on coyotes, and shoots cow behind the shoulder. They go a little ways and fall over.[/quote]

He's an animal. He gets alot done with a bunch of stuff folks hand ring about!

Semper Fi