Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
Hodgdon lists a load for the 7WSM with a 175 Sierra SBT @ 2,966 ft/sec. That is almost exactly the same as the 180gr 7PRC @ 2,950 ft/sec. Even at 3,000 ft/sec, that doesn't give the 7PRC any advantage. Except maybe more powder consumption, more recoil and less barrel life

Doesn't sound very exciting to me. But ....... if you just have to have another PRC chambered rifle it may be worth it. Afterall; how many "Creedmoors" does anyone need?

Once again, somebody who thinks muzzle velocity is the ONLY difference between cartridges. It's easy to get as much or more velocity, just use a similar-sized or bigger case.

But there are two problems with comparing the 7mm WSM with the 7mm PRC. First, as I stated in an earlier post on this thread, the PRC's chamber has all the new stuff that "accuracy" cartridges include to help them shoot a little more accurately, including a 30-degree shoulder angle, and a parallel throat barrel above bullet diameter. In contrast, the 7mm WSM has a 35-degree shoulder, and a tapered throat. The throat in particular is NOT the best way to get the finest accuracy--which is what the PRC cartridges are all about, NOT the maximum muzzle velocity from a particular bullet diameter.

The other problem is finding 7mm WSM or ammo--and then hoping the brass is equal in quality to Hornady's brass, which for the past several years has been very good. Consistent brass dimensions are another "secret ingredient" in superb accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck