The more i use them, the more I like a nessmuk style knife.

Originally Posted by geedubya
Let me first issue a disclaimer. I am in Texas and I hunt out of a camp. Typically, I do not field dress, rather bring back the animal, whole, hang and go to work. I do not have the occasion to skin elk, bear, moose, etc. I skin more hogs than anything else. So, the following thoughts may not be relevant to your situation. Next, my taste in knifes has evolved over the last ten years or so. I have been fortunate to be able to try quite a few different types and styles of knives, both production and custom.

2nd Disclaimer. I sold a bunch of my knives back in February of this year. IIRC, all of the knives pictured in this reply I still own. I have not asked permission of the new owners to show pix of their knives.

Finally, asking a knife-slut which style he prefers' is kinda like opening a Pandora's box, but.......

So many options from which to choose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Production or custom?
Large or small?
Edge retention or ease of re-sharpening
Are you hunting out of a camp where weight and space are not a concern.
Simple hide removal or caping (no holes in skin).
Boner or Nessmuck or Hunter or Semi-Skinner blade.
One do it all or a combo pack?

A Nessmuk style knife works great in a skinning knife, but IMHO it does have minor limitations.
I like a knife with what I call “belly”. I do not push with a knife when skinning. Rather I pull or flex my wrist in a downward motion. If you think about it, there can be incremental differences between a semi-skinner and a Nessmuk style blade.

Here are four that I collaborated with the maker during what I call my “nessmuk” period. The knife on the left is L6 steel, the other three are “Etched” A2 steel and do not show discoloration and staining like a polished blade of A2.

This may be drawing to fine a distinction, but to me the limitations of a Nessmuck style blade come when caping, taking out the backstraps and separating the ball joint socket on the hinds. I prefer the Semi-Skinner blade profile.........

My idea of perfection in a Semi-Skinner", Etched A2 Steel

or a Loveless drop point hunter style when including those two tasks, over the Semi-Skinner or Nessmuk.

Anywho, play with enough, and I'm willing to bet you'll find what you like!

ya!

GWB

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC