I feel your pain Roger,I've been dealing with the same issue.I had surgery on my left knee ten years ago to repair three torn menicus.Last year I started having some problems with it and got a steriod injection in my knee.Man it felt like a new knee for three months Started getting some pain in it again,got another steroid injection and it felt like it got inflamed.Ended up getting a gel injection a couple of months ago and that helped some.My big issue now is arthritis has become much worse in my knee.It showed up last year a little on the inside of my knee.My x-ray a couple of months ago showed about 50% of my knee now has arthritis.Fricking hurts bad sometimes.Behind my knee pain is bad too.Muscles in my lower leg from my knee to my ankles get tight and sore.The tendon from my hip to my knee sometimes gets tight and sore.I bought one of the percussion massage guns and really work the tight muscles good with it.It does help and increases my mobility some.Seems like some pain is always there no matter what I do or take.Started Meloxicam a couple of months ago and that helped a little but I still have days.Sometimes it feels OK and suddenly pain sets in and it hurts.Hell sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in pain.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............