Well to me glassing is about finding animals period. I usually hunt my home state of Colorado. Glassing where I hunt can be from close in to a couple miles out. I am committed to using a tripod. I just find it makes everything easier.

So if I am understanding you Kent. You are saying I would be better off with a 10x50 of as good of quality as I can get. Partially because of my budget I assume. I believe you are saying it is easier to get better glass in a lower power from most manufacturers usually at that lower price as well.

I did a quick glassing session tonight with my old 12x42 nikons and a cheap pair of 10x42 bushnells - they were both handy. Both cheap binos. Tonight was overcast, dim light, fog, and drizzle. The cheap 10x42's were brighter, easier to focus, and much easier to "see" with. I will probably do another session with the leupold 10x42s and my nikon 8x42s.

I would think a 10x50 would be "brighter" and give better low light performance than the 10x42s. However I don't think an 8x42, which may be brighter still, would make me happy magnification wise.

As I have said, I enjoy the discussion. Have been doing some figuring...lol

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....