Many years ago we stopped using the wonderful and highly praised 200 grain Nosler Partition in our 30-06 rifles and went to the 180 grain Barnes X. Both killed and worked great and a few years ago I switched to the 168 TTSX and find it is about perfect for what we expect a 30-06 to do.

Besides the higher velocity the felt recoil is noticeably easier on the shoulder compared to the 200 gain Partition. I also watched a penetration test on You Tube and the 168 TTSX and the 200 grain Partition penetrated almost the same in the test media.

If I was running a .300 mag. of some kind I would try the 190 grain LRX if it fit the magazine. But, the wide window for the impact velocity of the 168 TTSX makes it a near perfect choice for almost all big game scenarios here in Alaska.

A case full of H4350 in Norma brass with Federal 210 primers gets me about 2,836 fps mv with 5 shot groups at about and inch at 100 yards with my old pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight. If I can ever find some Big Game powder I will try it with a Federal 215 Match Primer and see if I can get to 2,900 fps mv with acceptable MOA moose accuracy.

I am going to find me a couple box's of the old 200 grain TSX bullets for a up close "pissed off big bear" load for when I pull the scope and use the Brockman's pop up receiver sight, that is a cool little sight I wish was still made. I just can't imagine a deeper penetrating load for a 30-06.