Originally Posted by okie john
Factory Whelen loads have to allow for all of the badly-converted rifles that have piled up over the years, and for actions like the low-numbered Springfield, 1895 Winchester, or some of the earlier Mausers that could be problematic with 60k psi loads. Current loads are more powerful but still on the cautious side.

Lots of people think that nothing has changed since Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith typed their last words, and that just isn't the case. We live in a Golden Age of powder and bullet technology. Levels of power and accuracy that were once out of the question are now common, and it's all perfectly safe.
Originally Posted by kwg020
I just loaded up some .358 Whelen ammo for a buddy who is going to hunt deer in central Iowa.
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Or a 35 Whelen with a 200gr at 2900 fps. Data for this load can be found on the Nosler Load Data site. IMR-8208 XBR is excellent fuel.
I have been leaning toward the 9.3x62 due to the PPU on the current market at less than $2/rd, but you guys are making my wife happy -- she likes the idea of the Whelen for a big rifle for whalin' on game. It always helps to have her on board for "yet ANOTHER rifle."