Originally Posted by tbird86
Originally Posted by tbird86
Originally Posted by horse1
.375 250 TTSX has a BC of .424 and will go ~2800 FPS from a .375 H&H. For a well known "long-range" entity, the .375/250 @ 2800 will have a trajectory very similar to a 308Win w/168gn Sierra Match King. They're almost exactly the same drop @ 600yds and the 250 TTSX will drift about 2.75" more @ 600 < 1/2MOA wind drift difference between the two.

Food for thought.
It's certainly tempting. Any idea where I could start looking for a rifle well south of $1,000?
2 further questions:

Where does .375 Ruger fall into this discussion? Essentially an even match for the H&H?

There are Mossberg rifles available chambered for that, priced under $500. That pricing doesn't seem like it would get me to where I want to be, but it's a considerably lower price of admission to the medium-bore game. Do these things have anything better than a "functional" reputation?

The 375 Ruger is every bit the 375 H&H and is Iowa-legal according to the reg’s, but the fact that this is being discussed as an option for whitetails in Iowa is beyond ludicrous in light of the fact that a farmer can’t use his own, old 30/30 in his river bottom. I’ve carried and used both 375’s; chosen and used in factory form they are completely out of proportion for deer.

Certainly, nothing meant against the poster or his question.