Originally Posted by Mule Deer
aheider,

The 150 Spire Point has long been one of my favorites in the .270. First stated using them in the mid-1970s, long before Hornady added the Interlock ring, partly because they were extremely accurate in my Remington 700 ADL. Using the original mil-surp H4831, muzzle velocity was around 2850--though I didn't know that until a few years later, after purchasing my first chronograph. That load would group 3 shots in an inch--at 300 yards.

A good example of the penetration was a big Montana mule deer buck, which weighed 232 pounds field-dressed AFTER a week of hanging. This was in the steep, thick timber country next to the Idaho Panhandle, and the buck was uphill at about 25 yards. At the shot it collapsed, because after entering the chest the bullet broke the spine at at the rear of the ribcage--and exited.

The Interlock version penetrates even better, as you have proven--which is why I always keep a sufficient supply on hand....

John,

That's a huge buck.... For reference the one I killed above was silly fat and only weighed 150 lbs hanging (no head, hide, lower legs, etc...)