Originally Posted by TD5427
If I’m not mistaken, the handful of people I know that have killed bears all shot them over bait which doesn’t sound that fun to me.

It's not all that much fun. My grandfather's brother in law owned several bear hunting lodges in Maine, the last one being The Driftwood. He was a master hunting guide specializing in bear. I hunted there in the 80s and in the 90s. All the hunting was over bait. They put 55 gallon cans full of bacon grease and left over supper. There were big permanent stands in the trees, complete with a seat and bucket for relieving ones self in. His lodge assistants would load hunters into a big trailer with huge tires attached to a big 4x4 John Deere ag tractor and take you on a circuit and drop hunters off at their stands. They came back in the afternoon and pick up the hunters. He has his tracking dogs in the afternoon in case one had to be found. The good part is if you had to get a bear out of the woods it was easy since everyone helped, and the crew at the lodge cleaned it and skinned it and would send it to a taxidermist for you.