So, since this has turned into a turkey, bear, and grouse hunting , civil war catch-all thread, I'll add that I seem to have solved my latest muzzleloading issue. At least for now.

I was having some occassional ignition problems with my Pedersoli Hawken .50 and #11 caps. So I switched over to a beryllium musket cap nipple. I spent the day at the range yesterday seeing if the musket cap threw off my zero. It didn't and I got immediate ignition 100% of the time. But the nipple has a pretty good taper and my Schuetzen musket caps only sit loosely on the nipple. Even pinching them down a bit only helps a little. So I devised this little wire cap harness that slips over the cap and under the drum which holds the cap firmly on the nipple but slips off very easily to change caps.

I'll need to find some RWS caps. They are a little deeper and a little narrower and should fit better. In the meantime, this will make sure the cap doesn't come off until I want it to. It works perfectl;y and doesn't come into contact with the hammer at all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/10/22.