Originally Posted by Nashville
Originally Posted by KC
The best way to carry a handgun while hunting is to leave it locked in the truck. If you encounter something that you can't kill with a hunting rifle, then you have more problems than a pistol can solve.

I disagree.

Sure, assuming you see the threat coming, a rifle is a better option. Most times things happen too fast and completely unexpectedly and you’ll be lucky to get one shot off with your rifle before it becomes useless. A sidearm can be used with one hand if that “problem” happens to be on top of you.

Up here that sidearm is bear spray but I’d carry a pistol (as well) if it ever became legal.

You and me both. The place I’m most likely to run into trouble where I hunt is in the parking lot or on one of the trails while going in or out. Lots of people use that area for dog-walking, strolling, bird-watching, and dope-smoking. The perfect time to mug an old man for his stuff is when he’s got his rifle slung or after he’s put it away. A little something on one’s belt can be a deterrent to that if visible, or an unhappy surprise if concealed.

I carry crossdraw, which keeps me from banging my guns together, and I can draw with either hand. Have a tanker rig, but haven’t been able to get it adjusted to my liking so far.

What fresh Hell is this?