Darkness: This maybe a good reason to have a light mounted on your handgun.

Let me tell you a tail/story.
This is a true story it happened to me and my wife. I carry a handgun about 40% of the time while hunting with a rifle. This day now turned night; we were walking out of the woods headed to where I had parked my truck. It was dark out, needed a flashlight to see. We were about 1/2 mile from my truck. As we were walking out, I thought I notice the outline of what looked like a person. I promise, it felt like the hair on my neck was standing up. As we got closer to him, I could see another person. I stopped for a second, told my wife if this goes south, don't hesitate to protect yourself. Right about now, I was wishing for one of my handguns. As we got closer to them, I spoke up: hello, coming through. One of the guys said, getting back kind of late, aren't you? I thought, oh, I don't want to have a conversation with these guys. I replied, a little bit, I was hunting up on the border.

There was no real reason for these fellas to be stopped on the trail just talking. (It was dark and cold) We talked for a short bit and got out of there. As we were walking out, I was anticipating seeing their vehicle out by the road. No such luck seeing their vehicle.

My wife and I each had our rifles. Not really a close quarters weapon of choice.
I prolly wouldn't have gotten bugged if I was by myself. I had my wife with me, it's my job to protect her and keep her safe.

A lot of things can run through your mind in short order.
At this point is when I wish I had my chest rig holster, with a handgun in it. Easy to get to and deploy it.

We never know when we are about to walk through a mess. Alwas plan for the unexpected. I know better, I got lazy, thinking how far we were going to be walking that day.
Thanks to the good Lord, we are safe and sound from this. Never again will I not have a handgun with me.

I use a little saying: Never leave home without it.

I don't carry a handgun for those 4-legged critters, it could come in handy if needed; I mostly carry it for those 2-legged kind.

Well, I about wore this out. I hope this was a help to you in some way.
If you carry a handgun, get yourself some defensive training with it. Believe me you'll be glad you did.
Training with your handgun, you will be more proficient with it and safer too.

There is another saying, "you don't know what you don't know."

Stay safe out there people.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor