Originally Posted by bugs4
If I'm dressed so I can get at it easily, I prefer a good crossdraw (Bianchi 111 is a good one) with a 4 or 5" model 29

I've done this for years when I hunt blacktail deer with a S&W 44 and leave the rifle at home. I like that I can swap the same holster to my strong side for the drive to and from my hunting spot. The Bianchi 111 and the Galco Dual-Position Phoenix are pretty much identical in that respect.

My experience with modern chest rigs is limited to one multi-day bear hunt and several pre-season scouting trips. The load was a pair of 8x32 Leicas, a G19 with Lost River ammo, and a rangefinder. Maybe that's too much stuff, but I find that the less weight on my chest, the better I like it. I moved the G19 to my belt and I'm switching to rangefinder binoculars.

I'm usually in pretty thick brush and the extra straps of a chest rig are just more stuff to get snagged. I'm also not making true backpacking hunts, but long day hunts out of truck- or boat-based camps. I rarely use a waist belt on a pack, and because our hunting weather is much warmer (and wetter) than the rest of the US, I'm more concerned about compatibility with rain gear than anything else.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.