Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by erich
I have never hunted with a suppressor, I have hunted with others that have them. The sound of a suppressed rifle is coming from the exact same place as an un-suppressed rifle it just isn't as loud, they know where the shot sound is coming from. Coyotes react to the impact of the bullet as it arrives before the sound of the shot.. I've killed the far coyote first and had the close one run straight at me, to the point of running over me and killing one as close as 6ft.. PD's seem to take the same amount of time to resurface with shots from a suppressed rifle and an un-suppressed rifle. On numerous occasions I have up to four coyotes come in as spaced single while killing the first one and have had them come in spaced after killing the first two, missing the third and killing the fourth all over the period of 10 minutes with the longest shot 70 yards. I have also missed a coyote twice with a single shot and he kept returning to the call until I killed him the third time he came in. I did refer to that one as "Suicide by Hunter". I personally feel that the main advantage to a suppressor is easier on the owners ears and the neighbors ears.

I don't think you're really experienced at all then. I've had experience more like JLimbo who posted below you. I've taken animals out of herds and then had somebody else take one, I've had animals actually come to me because they hear the sonic crack the opposite direction of bullet travel. The report is quiet enough with the suppressor that the crack confuses them. If you can go to a range with pits, let your friends with a suppressor shoot while you're in the pit and it will seem quite different to you.

100% agreed.

erich, how many coyotes do you actually kill in a year - particularly doubles, triples etc. ?
And average distance killed – I suspect the answer to the last question will be rather illuminating on why the need/no need for suppressor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D