Haha, good stuff Don.

One of my early LR kills was similar. Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned. Looking back, it's funny to think of the equipment I used to make that shot. Mirage against the snow showed just a hint of wind, which I estimated to be about 1 mph full value. I held for it by shading just a reticle-width into the wind, and let a shot fly. The 'yote sprung into the air, danced around a bit, and then laid dead. I walked over to him, and found I had hit him square in the shoulder. Ranged back to the truck where I had shot from, and sure enough the Leica read 942. I had some pics of me sitting next to the coyote, holding up 9 fingers, but the pics got lost when my previous hard-drive failed. I'll likely never recover those. Still have the memories, though.