Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned.

Jordan,

The Burris FFII "Tactical" (which had a 30mm tube) was made close to 20 years ago, and featured a much stronger coil-spring erector-tube adjustment system than the 1" FFIIs. I know this because of getting one way back then--and still owning it today, due to it being so reliable on several rifles. Right now it's on my 6.5 PRC, a custom rifle by Charlie Sisk, which has been among my favorites over the past couple years.

But apparently most shooters couldn't believe such a "cheap" scope could dial so reliably, and hold up so well, so it was discontinued. But a few years ago Burris offered basically the same scope, but changed the name to the C4. Tested one of those and it also was dead-nuts, but apparently the same thing happened with the "perceived value," and it didn't last long.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck