Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We've heard that there are an estimated 34 million more young men than women in China because of the 1-child law. This has produced another consequence. Dowries have skyrocketed. A dowry is a price paid by the groom's family to the brides family. It's been a tradition in China for centuries in spite of being illegal. Since brides are at a premium due to the scarsity of young women, the dowry demands have shot way up. It's common for brides' families to demand 5x an annual wage. This Foxnews article mentions a case where someone demanded $163,000 bride price. It was impossible for the groom's family to pay and they had to break up.

BRIDE PRICES

I've read in other places that many young Chinese men are going to other countries to find wives. Needless today, the young men in those countries are upset when foreign men come in to take away the available women, leaving them with a woman shortage.

My wife's Hmong, from Laos. There family immigrated from China probably in the 1890's.

In China the Hmong are hill tribes that live as subsistence level farmers. There used to be lots of pretty girls in those village, but all the city men are coming to the country side offering huge dowries even for girls who are average at best. This is hollowing out the villages, much like what's happening in rural America.

Vietnams a big destination for Chinese men seeking wires, where they can get a decent looking girl for the low, low price of only $10,000.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell