Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve been messing around with then Montana 7-08, first one, but it’s a blast so far. I was also wondering how it’d handle 162’s in the little mag box. Seems like it’ll be fine. If 2700 is possible that should work excellent since it’ll get used for bucks and I’d prefer they open quicker rather than later. Thanks

Beretzs, I have a Tikka 708AI that has a 20" Bartlein barrel on it. I am using the M+ mags to get a little bit more room. I know I could get even more room if I wanted, but I am not one to chase speed as I am perfectly capable of using my dope chart and dialing, or even using my reticle in a pinch to make longer shots.

I am able to get 2750 with a 162 and Varget and 2740 with the same bullet and H4350. I can get a touch over 2800 with a 150 grain bullet, which is bad medicine for deer.

In regards to the people who continue to say "the AI isn't worth the effort", please explain to me exactly what effort is required? Simply load a standard round, fire it in your gun and then continue to load that fireformed brass until the primer pocket loosens up. Anneal after 5 firings, which is exactly what I do for my standard cartridges. The only thing I don't have to do with my AIs (or TCUs) is trim the brass. As for a ring forming in the neck, I have never experienced that and I have been shooting these types of cartridges for over 20 years now.

It takes many cycles to to realize this, Dasher cases require at least 2 neck turns ( not a full neck turn , but just the thickened portion at the juncture of shoulder/neck, before pockets loosen.

Also create a false shoulder for the initial firing to increase case longevity.

Last edited by Axtell; 11/26/22.