I managed to luck into a nice fat 1x3 on our opening morning. A South wind put me in my oldest stand, which is in some really thick stuff looking over some escape routes. Just after 9, I saw one coming in straight at me, looking this way and that like he was looking for a rock to crawl under. He stopped about 50 yards out facing directly at me and I put a 165gr AB right where his neck joined his chest. He turned 90 degrees and flopped. Almost positive he’s the one I whiffed with my crossbow and also the one I saw out at about 150 the last time I hunted with that a week before. I’m in recovery from the drag now. Not sure when or if I go back for more. Wifey “suggests” not. Two is enough meat for certain, but I don’t feel like I’ve done quite enough hunting just yet. I have an old Renegade I picked up last Spring. Might get that ready for ML next month.

Learned some time ago that you can’t bank deer on public land. If you see one, better get it. Like the man said, if you’d shoot him on the last day, better shoot him on the first.

What fresh Hell is this?