Got whupped on elk, then got pneumonia and was grateful for a ten minute road hunt in my grandson's pick-up to shoot a doe.

I drew what we thought would be a superb elk permit, that turned out so bad it is still puzzling. We have concluded that it is not all that great a permit. I ignored a barely legal 3 point bull 7 minutes into opening morning and never saw another bull, and only two more elk, in the rest of the five day season. Two excellent elk hunters were roaming far and wide looking for an elk for me. Nada. In my permit area, no elk and almost no tracks even. They were someplace else. I came down with pneumonia the day after elk season.

After three weeks of pneumonia, coughing up lots of blood the first week, I was still exhausted and sick, but remembered one day while half dozing that I had drawn a codger doe permit. My grandson asked if I was up to riding in his pick-up to look for a doe along the road. He and his son, my oldest great grandson at age 4, picked me up. About ten minutes drive up the first logging road a blacktail doe stepped into the road ahead. I stepped out, killed the doe, became an instant hero to my 4 year old great grandson, then let my grandson do all the work.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/17/22. Reason: smooth