Originally Posted by 5sdad
But as I understand it, if the prices included the actual cost of paying the help they would be so high that no one would consider paying them, and the business would fail - why does this not happen in the rest of the world? (Not arguing with you as you make perfect sense.)

The argument that they would fail if they had to pay their help is a bait and switch. It’s a bunch of BS that makes them more money. As you mentioned restaurants make money in other countries without this ridiculous system and a meal in Germany, the UK, or Japan doesn’t cost any more than one in US from my experience. They try to sell the idea because it increases their profit margin.

It’s really no different than the BS $300 “document fee” that car dealerships try to tack onto the price when you buy a car. They try to paint it as a necessary expense but in reality it’s just pure profit and they’re hoping you’re a sucker who will fall for it. Filling out paperwork is a part of almost any transaction, I’m not paying you extra to do your job.

It really is a ludicrous system and until you travel like I do you don’t realize what suckers we are. Just look at the number of guys on this thread that buy into it.