Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
AU338MAG,

I have had 3-position safeties, like those on Model 70 Winchesters, installed in several 98 Mausers, mostly commercial actions but some military. This bypasses the occasional problems with trigger safeties.

The safety I've used more than any is the Gentry: https://gentrycustom.com/
I have thought about that conversion but i prefer the look of the original bolt shroud. I think the Interarms actions are attractive and have a custom 35 Whelen AI built with one.

I know, that's silly.

I very fond of the Winchester 3 position safeties but i just want to keep this rifle original as it is one I inherited from my father. The wood is exceptional for a Whitworth and still has the original hard brown recoil pad. I don't need the rifle, but will not part with it for sentimental reasons. I've just shot it at the range and deer hunted with it occasionally.

The Gunsmiths in Alabama I know are out of their league with this issue. If it's not a Remington or clone they look puzzled. The late John Gallagher was a smith I trusted and he told me the trigger housing has to be disassembled to fix it properly. Far beyond my abilities.

I still may consider the Gentry option if I ever book a trip to Africa...
Roger Ferrell, Fayettevile GA is your man, member of ACGG, known him for 20+ years.