Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If you pursue the RAR, just avoid the rotary mag.

In general I agree, but the two RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor I've owned have fed well from the rotary magazine.

Might also comment that I've seen a BUNCH of big game of various sizes taken with not only the 6.5 Creedmoor but the .260 Remington and 6.5x55--along with the 7mm-08 and 7x57. Have also been beside other hunters who used the same rounds, using various bullets. I have yet to be able to see any difference in "killing power" with any of them, and would even throw in the .270 Winchester. The two major differences I see in all those rounds are:

1) Recoil--which tends to be less in the 6.5s, though that also depends on the rifle's weight, and fit to the specific shooter.

2) Availability of factory ammunition or brass/bullets for handloaders. (Aside from all that, 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo tends to be more accurate than any of the other cartridges mentioned.)

Yea, I was in the small town sporting goods store where my brother lives talking to my nephew about his upcoming first cow elk hunt. I told him "just take my CM and some factory 143's and have at it. Tell me how it went when you get back."

Apparently the gun counter guy overheard me and volunteered that the only proper cartridge to point at an elk is a 300 WM. Laughing, I told him he needed to get out more, and by the looks of him he hadn't done that very thing in a long, long time.

My brother later told me he had to go back to soothe old Mr. Gun Guy's feelings as he apparently didn't like having his sagacity stomped on like that.

Oh, well.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.