Originally Posted by Coyote10
Yall are obviously way more knowledgeable about load development than I am, and I agree with what yall strive for on getting a high dollar rifle to shoot. I mean that's what standard you hold a custom rifle to. But what ever happened to shooting 3 or 5 shots at a hundred yards with various components? To me, I think a chronograph is the only way, my opinion. Same speed, same burn, same result. If your not happy with the speed, switch it up. Once all that's obtained at 100, back that up to 300, then 600, then whatever. Shoot at various Temps. Freezing to 100 degrees or so. Your cases and chronograph should tell all. And duh, the size of the group. Just an outsider looking in. By all means keep up the thread. Pretty good read.

Shooting groups at 100 yards is a way many go through load development. It is the way I first began as well. If your shooting is mostly done at ranges that aren’t considered “long range”, it may be fine.

I’m not saying a Good long range load can’t be discovered by shooting at 100 yards, then moving out as you suggest, but sometimes a good 100 yard group and load shows the rifle to be “out of tune” at long range. Generally printing with a lot of vertical stringing.

What the Audette method achieves, and it achieves it quickly saving barrel life, components and time, is a load with as little vertical stringing at as possible at long range with the given components and equipment.

Since this is the Long Range forum, I wanted to share what has worked well for me sinceI have found no other methods that work as well

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.