I am a threw the slats 'chooter. But if I need to anchor'em right then and there, I really like the result of the top of the shoulder to the spine route, much more effective. A shot square into the scapula is a waste, most times they still move and quite well.

But, I have and seen or ran a bullet or 3 ran into shoulders and upper leg bones on occation, its just in the cards. Just a wiggle moves the crosshairs into those objects. My wife killed a big ol' fat cow elk as it walked angling away with the 25-06. Range was around 250 yards as the 100 gr. Partition entered just behind the last rib, caught part of the liver then threw the chest. Heart and lungs were ruined, then on to shatter the upper leg bone and lodge against the hide of the leg. Elk wobbled maybe 20 yards and done. Was quite impressed with how far and what that 100 gr. Bullet had done. IIRC, from point of entry to stop 39 inches of elk had been cleaved by it. If the elk had been quartering toward my wife, she would have placed the bullet just opposite direction.

I/we do not make it a habit to break elk shoulders/leg bones, it just is in the cards. Shot placement first and premium bullets really leans better outcomes your way with heavier boned game.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member