I started carrying a pocketknife in the first grade; usually one of my Dad’s worn Case 2 or 3 blade Muskrat type. I remember my 3 rd grade teacher asking who had a knife; had 3 of us come down front and sit around the trash can Called students up by row by row to get their pencils sharpened. Ratty pencil grinder never worked. Played mumbly peg and holes in jr high using pocket knives. My Dad always carried a hankerchief, comb, and pocket knife. I did likewise for years. Changed to Case Trapper for many decades. Now a Benchmade, and small 2 blade Swiss Army. Keep a small LED flashlight that 3 AAA batteries in coat pocket and each vehicle. Walmart sells a decent one in orange for about a Buck in camping. Give ‘em to kids, DILs, and grandkids. Wife has one in purse plus a Buck Swiss Army knife. Usually a multi-tool in door pocket. And I don’t leave the house without packing: Taurus G2 9mm, Glock 22, or 1911. Rotate em. Was a school principal and had to fight a drunk Indian once. Always had Louisville Slugger or knife, or pistol somewhere. Last 6 months working on the rez, I could legally carry. Only the Judge, 2 game wardens, and Law and Order officers could legally carry. Pays to be prepared.