I would think the 300 CEB Raptors that the original poster mentioned would penetrate with most conventionally constructed higher weight classed bullets. And with a pretty substantial wound channel.

Hornady has, by evidence of others, substantially improved the original DGX with the bonded version.

The 300 grain TSX has just never got my interest. The 350 TTSX has given me very good accuracy and I stopped with it until the TTSX. The tips are another possiblity of mechanical issue. Which, I need to do more testing as to recoil effects in the magazine. I think a lot of tipped bullet had issues when bullet manufacturers loaded the wagon with them. Hopefully, they have corrected issues.

No doubt a boat tail usually extends deeper in the brass. But, with the 2000-MR it still gave me the velocity that I was looking for at seemingly safe pressures. The 270 gr LRX in 375 Ruger with a Barnes online load also seemed to problem.

Moose are definitely not as thick built proportionally as a bovine. Of course size in both differ. And different sub-species of moose can vary quite a bit. Yep, not water nor Cape buffalo.
I hardly ever see the classic broad side shot presentation on a legal moose. Hunting areas and methods differ. I try to choose a bullet gives plenty of penetration of closer range angling shots and the bigger bones in the shoulder. My mention of 250 yards was an extreme maximum. I usually plan on < 25 to 70 yards, with 150 yards being a long shot. My long range hunting area, per range finder I could possibly get a shot at 230 yards through an gap in the alders. But being able to be certain of legal antlers would be a challenge.

I have read / heard of people liking the 300 gr mono's on both moose and bear. I would think at 2500-2600 a 300 grain would work fine. The 350 TSX did very well for me at 2360 fps at < 25 and about 80 yards.

Hopefully, Barnes will include the 416 Ruger in their next reloading manual. Prior to Remington folding, per a phone conversation it was to be included.

Last edited by ldmay375; 01/08/23.