Originally Posted by sawbones66
As they say, not all chronographs agree. That is the number that came up. It was also August '21 in Alabama and I don't know what powder or powder blend BB uses. Also don't know whether the cartridges were setting in the sun. Just trying to think what might have contributed. I measured both softs and solids at about 5 yards and I was very impressed with the consistency of velocity. [Edit: The TSX box reads 2550 and the Barnes solids read 2660; I went down to pull my data and the averages on two different days were TSX 2652 and 2656 whereas solids were 2676 and 2667. These were days that I was trying TTSX with Varget and Re-15. The TSX is flat base whereas the TTSX is boat tail. I find that with low case capacity the FB allows more powder. I had seen loads of Re-15 up to 75 gr. I could not load a TTSX with more than 72. So this makes a difference with Buffalo Bore bullets too. There are things I think I know that I don't always understand.]

My initial intention [Edit: First reloading in 2010] with 400 grain bullets was to achieve 2150 similar to a 450/400 [Edit: I did not have one then - I do now]. 450/400 seems to be sufficient for large African game. The full power 400 grain discharge in the 8# Ruger rifle is lively. The issues that I have battled over the years were different impact of DGX, Interlocks (I had 2 boxes), and Swift bullets [all 400 gr]. I decided to use only DGX/DGS then 20 during 21 summer there were no bullets and no loaded ammo and I had a trip to Africa scheduled - so I got busy with 350 TTSX and 300 TSX.

I just read on another forum of a chronograph test of a 20" 416 Ruger with the Buffalo Bore 350 grain TSX. Using the new Garmin, his 3 shot average was 2666.4 fps. Definitely a potent load. Shot at ~75 F degrees.

Edit: he got 2305.3 fps, 8 shot average for the Hornady 400 gr DGS. Shot at 54 F degrees.

Last edited by ldmay375; 01/27/24.