SuperCub;
Good morning my old friend, I hope that you and your fine family are well.

While this isn't a .308" bullet test, this is our own Cascade along with Gavin on the video testing all copper bullets from Hornady.

In past discussions about ballistic gel tests, if I'm remembering correctly - John Barness outlined some of the standard ways of making sure the gel test will be uniform. Again if I'm remembering correctly, he didn't feel that gel tests mirrored results on game all that well.

It's interesting to me that the Hornady rep told Ted that the 220gr is good for 12" of penetration as it wasn't much more than that I got from the moose and whitetail buck test. Granted I shot through moose hide and bone with the moose and the whitetail had some bone as well.

Still and all, when I initially switched to 200gr Partitions, in the very same place on the mountain where the moose and the whitetail died - I am one to haunt areas that produce for me SuperCub - I came upon another young whitetail buck who was headed away from me but slightly quartering to the right. It looked back over it's right shoulder at me and I thought to myself "here's a good bullet test" so I slid said 200gr Partition just across the right hip, one of the few times I've ever done a rear facing shot on an unwounded buck.

The buck collapsed immediately and after I got it home and all apart my notes indicate that two ribs were broken, the right scapula was shattered and the bullet exited out the throat making for 36" of penetration.

For sure it's an example of one and for sure as well one moose and one whitetail don't make an exhaustive test of the 200gr RN either.

For what it's worth we've been using Hornady GMX and Barnes TSX and TTSX for years now and have yet to see any meaningful difference in how the bullets perform on game.

Hopefully that useful to you or someone out there.

All the best to you and your family this year SuperCub.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"