Late to the party. I haven't used a 220 grain 06 for a couple of years. We used to use a Barnes Original RN 250grain for all 308 cals. They would get to 2600fps in 300Wins and about 2200 fps in 06. These were hot loads in each case. They recoiled sharply but were typically the first round in the gun with Trophy Bonded bullets following for range. Most of the time we nevered had to shoot a second time and they counted on a lot of moose and caribou. I remember 1 blackbear that we shot with them as well. Devasting wound track and they might be recovered on the far side of a moose if you were shooting stem to stern otherwise they would punch clean through. We hunted a lot in the brush and felt that they worked as Grizzly insurance. They were deadly under 250 yds where we typically shot moose. They don't make those old barnes bullets anymore and there is quite the demand for them in Alaska. I do have and shoot 220 rnd nose 06 blue box federal out of my 30/03 1895 and I think that they go about 2200fps. They function very well and are quite accurate for this rifle. I believe that I have about four boxes squirrelled away just for this combo.

Last edited by kaboku68; 01/14/23.