Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by sbhooper
My question is, that with the quality spitzer-type bullets available, why would one use these pumpkins for anything? It has been proven many times that round-nosed bullets do not penetrate, nor kill any better than pointy ones.

It has also been proven that big and slow out penetrates light and fast if you are talking C&C type bullets. About every elk I have killed with those 'Punpkins" I have found the bullet under the hide on the far side. Regular BT spitzers, I usually find the core and bit of the jacket.

I don’t buy it. If they are coming apart, then you used weak spitzers. Bullets of like construction will perform similarly and also be very capable on long shots, if they are a spitzer design.

Use what you want, but the pumpkins belong in the tube-fed rifles.

Not even close. A spitzer bullet is not constructed like a typical RN especially BT's. Look at the Sierra Game king vs the Prohunter. Both spitzers, but both behave differently. I think those who say the RN pumpkins only belong in a tube may have not shot enough elk with them out of a bolt gun to come to that conclusion. I have a few elk kills from 350-400 yards and in the neighborhood of 30-35 kills a lot closer with RN alone. Most of them were found under the hide on the far side. How much more penetration is needed? Will other bullets do the same? Sure and I have used them. I'm not trying to convince you to use RN, only saying you are just wrong in what you post

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/14/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles