20 or 30 years ago, I thought the best choice a young HS graduate was military service. I went in 2 years after graduation, not exactly because I wanted to, but as a young fellow starting a family, it seemed to be the best option.
4 years later I couldn’t wait to get home, and neither could Carol, so I got out and we returned to PA.
But I could recognize that the Army did a helluva lotta good for me, both in attitude and the way I see things.
I have often said of my service, “ I wouldn’t do it again for a million $, but I wouldn’t take 5 million for the experience”!
I would’ve recommended it to anyone starting their life, and I supported the idea of 2 years mandatory service after high school.
However, now 30 years later, you’d have to be blind not to see that we live in a completely different country from the one I grew up in, and swore my life to defend.
I respect those who serve, but I sure as hell wouldn’t recommend it for anyone, unless you’re maybe a man who wishes to be a woman.
It’s a damn poor joke to myself and thousands like me.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden