Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 300MAG
I agree but will say this....Manners quality of inletting is a hell of alot better than McMillan......I think McMillan uses a chainsaw to inlet their stocks....very ragged & rough!!!

I haven't ever seen one that was that bad myself. I guess everyone lets out a stinker now and again, and I am sure I am due for one after 25+ thru the years. I did have one that I sold on a Tikka not too long ago that was cracked in the inletting, McM took it back, repaired it and all is good now.

That sucks about Manners and Mcmillan as well. I was thinking the same thing about stocks yesterday. It still erks me that Mcmillan can't get the bottom metal inletting right on their model 70 stocks. Particularly the pre 64 model 70 inletting. You don't know how many times I've had to fix this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I can definitely feel the OP's frustration. These companies have nice state of the art CNC equipment. They should be natzs azz on their inletting. The last pre 64 I bought has a Mcmillan on it and the smith just ground the hard to find $100 trigger guard. I'd like to slap the dog schidt out of that guy:

What a fn hack...^^^ You see that though, from many "gunsmiths", then I have to come in and fix schidt the best I can..:

Had to reshape that one a little more and polish it out, but it's much better now. A little paint on the stock and that one was good to go:
I often have to redo other's bedding jobs as well.. Don't even get me started on working on those damn Brown Precision PoundR stocks. The kevlar in those fights you every step of the way. You would think at the prices these guys are charging, the inletting would come out perfect. I'm always going to know I have to glass bed my own, but having a rifle drop right in with little fuss is always a relief. The last mcmillan I bought was for a Tikka T3x CTR. It was not even inletted for the flats at the action screw areas. It has aluminum pillars, so those and the stock had to be milled down a little to allow for proper fit:
I'm not going to complain too much about that one. Only paid $400 for it on ebay. ^^

Sweet stock, but I was surprised to see the lack of proper inletting for the action. The guy I bought it from was probably getting schidt poor accuracy with it. I quickly inletted the 2 problem areas and glass bedded it. Problem solved..

The thing that is funny as hell is a cheap azzed ($500) B&C for a Tikka I have was perfectly inletted. Aluminum bedding block was damned near perfect. Again, it gets glass bedded though:

That's just how it goes when you mess with any brand of stock. I'd think we should expect more out of the higher dollar ones though. JMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA