Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by hanco
How come you fellas don’t build some nice warm stands? If built right, you can put one up in a few minutes, guy wire it off, be snug as a bug when it freezing, raining, etc. Raise them and lower with a winch, tractor, hoist.? I have stands 20 years old, metal platforms 30 to 40 years old.

That's cheating. laugh

Personally, I like to be exposed to the deer. It makes it more challenging when they can see you and smell you. If the weather is too brutal, I just won't go. But typically, it's not very bad if I wear my rain suit or pile on the cloths if it's really cold. For years I used to use a climber, but now on the farm that I hunt, they let me put up 3 ladder stands.

I hunted from open ladder stands, strap on stands, and climbers for 50years. I still use 2 ladder stands, But I must admit now that I am 65 years old I really like hunting out of a box blind. They are warm, dry, and comfortable, and they are great for taking the grandkids. They are 7 and 9 years old and can get antsy after being in the blind for a couple of hours. But they are learning fast.

My son had a game boy, kept him busy. Granddaughter had coloring books, markers to decorate my stands. Her pictures are still there.